On September 12, our opening one-day public conference will take place at the Instituto de Medicina Molecular in Lisbon. From September 13, the core of the meeting will take place in the city of Évora: on September 13 and 14 the closed sessions will be at the Convento de São Bento de Castris, and the closed sessions on September 15 and 16, as well as the closing one-day public conference on September 17, will be at the Fundação Eugénio de Almeida. Besides the conference, social activities will be announced to encourage communication among the speakers.

We recommend that when you book your flights you fly in and out of Lisbon. Information about accommodation, events and commuting between Lisbon and Évora will be available soon. Please check our emails sent from fem22@easychair.org.

If in Lisbon on September 11th, please join us at Ectopia Experimental Art Laboratory https://ectopialab.org/ at 5pm for the opening of the exhibition with works by Jennifer Willet (address Rua José Sobral Cid, 16 – Lisbon).

For further info: femeeting@cultivamoscultura.org

September 12th
Instituto de Medicina Molecular João Lobo Antunes
Address: Edifício Egas Moniz, Avenida Professor Egas Moniz, 1649-028 Lisboa, Portugal
How to get there: https://imm.medicina.ulisboa.pt/contacts/#how-to-get-to-imm
The Instituto de Medicina Molecular (Institute of Molecular Medicine), or IMM for short, is an associated research institution of the University of Lisbon, in Lisbon, Portugal. IMM is devoted to human genome research with the aim of contributing to a better understanding of disease mechanisms, developing novel predictive tests, improving diagnostics tools, and developing new therapeutic approaches. IMM was created in November 2001, as a result of the association of 5 research centres from the University of Lisbon Medical School: the Biology and Molecular Pathology Centre (CEBIP), the Lisbon Neurosciences Centre (CNL), the Microcirculation and Vascular Pathobiology Centre (CMBV), the Gastroenterology Centre (CG), and the Nutrition and Metabolism Centre (CNB). In 2003, the Molecular Pathobiology Research Centre (CIPM) of the Portuguese Institute of Oncology Francisco Gentil (IPOFG) became an associate member of IMM. Historically, IMM benefited from the full integration of academic researchers into the Lisbon Medical School who initiated their academic training and scientific careers at Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência (IGC), in Oeiras, one of the first national institutions to introduce and make use of state-of-the-art cell and molecular biology techniques.
The IMM is now known as Instituto de Medicina Molecular João Lobo Antunes, to honour one of its founders and president (2001-2014), Professor João Lobo Antunes. Maria do Carmo- Fonseca is the current president of IMM, having served before as IMM Executive Director since its creation. The current Executive Director is the malaria researcher Maria Mota.

September 13th and 14th
Convento de São Bento de Cástris
Address: R114-4, Évora, Portugal https://goo.gl/maps/qWfuF7WA345fhjUU7
How to get there: from Rua do Menino Jesus 2, take bus Linha Azul – Zona Norte – Porta Nova, stop Sto. António da Piedade and walk about 25 min (1.9 km) / from Praça de Giraldo, take B. 25 de Abril – Via Lg. Luis de Camoes, stop Av. S. Bento de Castris and walk about 13 min (1.0 km) / walk via R114-4 about 38 min mostly flat (3.0 km) / bicycle via R114-4 about 15 min (3.4 km) / car via R114-4 about 8 min (4.2 km).
The Monastery of São Bento de Cástris is a national monument located in the parish of Malagueira and Horta das Figueiras, in the municipality of Évora, about 2 km from Portas da Lagoa, in the direction of Arraiolos. From an architectural point of view, the monastery is very valuable, marked by the late Gothic and Manueline styles, especially in the vaults of the church, the vast cloister, the chapter room and the refectory. Outside, the overlapping of the various roofs, pavilions and bell towers gives the complex a very picturesque appearance. The Royal Monastery of São Bento de Cástris, of the Cistercian Order, is the oldest female Cistercian monastery south of the Tagus, having been founded in 1274 by Lady Urraca Ximenes. This vast religious house, built at the foot of Alto de São Bento (viewpoint of the city of Évora), was marked in the history of the dynastic crisis of 1383-1385. At the time, the abbess of the Monastery was Lady Joana Peres Ferreirim, of the family of Queen Leonor Teles, whom the people called Aleivosa (premeditated). According to the Portuguese historian Fernão Lopes (1380-1460), the abbess, who had hidden in the Cathedral during the riots of the Grand-Master of the Order of Aviz (later King John I of Portugal), was later dragged away by the crowd and killed in Praça do Giraldo. After six centuries of existence, religious life at the monastery ended on April 18, 1890, with the death of the last nun, Soror Maria Joana Isabel Baptista, who was 89 years old. Once in the possession of the State, the buildings served as an Agricultural School for some decades and, between 1960 and 2005, it housed the men’s section of Casa Pia (Portugal’s largest educational institution dedicated to helping youngsters in risk of social exclusion or without parental support). In 2011, the property, classified as a National Monument, was vandalized, and one of the bells was stolen. On April 22, 2015, the public launching ceremony of the Sphera Cástris – Southwest Park for Heritage and Arts Project took place at the Convento de São Bento de Cástris, in Évora. It is intended that the project, whose investment comes from structural funds, through the Creative Europe program and scientific projects with the University of Évora, will give rise to business clusters, development laboratories in the area of heritage, artistic residencies and agricultural development works. It is hoped that the intersection of science, heritage and contemporary art within the Convent of São Bento de Cástris will contribute to the economic development of Évora and the region.

September 15 th , 16 th and 17th
Fundação Eugénio de Almeida
Address: Páteo de São Miguel, 7001-901 Évora, Portugal
The Eugénio de Almeida Foundation is an institution governed by private law and public utility, based in Évora. Its Statutes were drafted by Vasco Maria Eugénio de Almeida, who created them in 1963.
The first phase of the Foundation’s life was marked by the personality of this great patron and philanthropist, who ensured the effective management of the Institution until his death in 1975.
The objectives that are statutorily consigned to it materialized, in that period, in the recreation of the Cartuxa Convent as a center of spiritual life, in the construction of the Oratory of S. José oriented to the school and professional formation of thousands of children and in the creation, in 1964, and maintenance, in collaboration with the Society of Jesus, of ISESE – Instituto Superior Económico e Social de Évora, which started the restoration of the University of Évora and trained hundreds of cadres and senior managers of public and private administration.
From the 1980s onwards, after the return of assets expropriated during the Agrarian Reform period, the Foundation began a phase of patrimonial re-launch and created a reference the agricultural and industrial development that aims to guarantee the economic self-sustainability of the Institution and the pursuit of its purposes, while also contributing to the promotion of the region’s economic and social development. This project highlights viticulture and olive growing, activities that result in the wines produced at Adega Cartuxa, including the emblematic Pêra-Manca and Cartuxa, and the oils produced at Lagar Cartuxa. The economic and financial consolidation of the Foundation allowed it to begin, 2001, a new stage in the development of its own projects in the field of the Mission, in addition to strengthening the distribution of subsidies and support to a diverse range of cultural and social institutions in the Region.
Over the years, the Foundation has offered a regular program of initiatives around the dissemination of contemporary art and music, the promotion of knowledge, reflection and the debate of ideas, and training. The preservation and enhancement of Heritage, as well as the qualification of Volunteering, have been preferred areas of the Foundation’s work at the service of the community. Fifty-five years after its creation, the Foundation continues the work of its Founder, constituting itself as a proactive element of convergence and gathering of efforts for the development of the Évora region.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: